California Slip & Fall Accident Attorneys Assisting Clients in Los Angeles
Getting hurt in a slip and fall accident can be devastating. While slips and falls vary in terms of severity, an unexpected slip and fall can lead to traumatic injuries that can make it impossible for you to return to work in addition to requiring expensive medical treatment. Generally speaking, property owners and others who are responsible for overseeing property have a duty to make sure that the premises do not pose an unreasonable risk of harm. For example, if a property owner knows about a liquid spill or a dangerous piece of flooring, that property owner has a duty to remedy the situation or to warn people about it.
If you or someone you love suffered injuries in a slip and fall accident in a hospital, the Los Angeles hospital slip and fall lawyers at our firm can get started on your case today.
How Do Slip and Fall Accidents in Hospitals Occur?
Slip and fall accidents can happen almost anywhere, including in the hospital setting. In some cases, slips and falls in hospitals happen because of an unexpected event, while in other situations there is a hazardous condition that arises out of wear and tear on the property. Sometimes slip and fall accidents happen even when there is no obvious damage to the property, but slick tile flooring may easily lead someone to slip and fall. The following are some examples of how slip and fall accidents in Los Angeles hospitals occur:
- Liquid spill;
- Slick flooring;
- Damaged or bunched carpeting;
- Rough flooring;
- Recently mopped hospital flooring;
- Broken stairway handrail;
- Puddles from rainwater and umbrellas;
- Open windows during rain;
- Construction defects leading to a leaking roof or ceiling;
- Objects or debris in the walking path; and
- Poor lighting in walking areas.
According to a fact sheet from the National Floor Safety Institute, falls result in more than eight million visits to emergency rooms every year, and slips and falls specifically represent about 12 percent of all fall-related accidents.
FREE CASE REVIEW
If you have been injured, contact us for a free review of your case and learn about your legal options.
I’ve Fallen in a Hospital, What Should I Do?
If you were injured in slip and fall accident in a Los Angeles hospital, it is important to know what steps to take in order to be eligible for compensation. The following is a list of things you should do after you slip and fall:
- Document the scene: it is extremely important to have evidence of the slip and fall accident, and why it occurred. If you have a smartphone with you, or someone else in the hospital has a smartphone, you should take photographs of the scene that make clear what caused the slip and fall. For example, if there was a liquid spill that was not cleaned up, you should take clear pictures. Or, if a handrail going up the staircase was broken, be sure to photograph it.
- Identify any potential witnesses: did anyone see you slip and fall? If so, make sure to get the name and contact information for any and all witnesses. Your premises liability lawyer can get in touch with witnesses who can support your claim.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible: when you slip and fall in a hospital, you are already in a place where you can seek immediate medical attention. Even if you do not think you have a serious injury, it is important to be assessed by a doctor. Some serious injuries may not have produce signs or symptoms for hours or even days after a slip and fall accident.
- Get help from a premises liability lawyer: when you slip and fall in a hospital, you may need to file a premises liability lawsuit against the hospital. An experienced Los Angeles hospital slip and fall attorney can advocate for your right to compensation throughout this process.
If Someone Falls in a Hospital, Can They Sue?
When you slip and fall at a hospital, you will need to prove certain elements in order to be eligible for compensation. The essential factual elements in a California premises liability lawsuit are what any person should plan to prove in order to obtain damages from the hospital where the slip and fall accident occurred. The following are the essential factual elements of a premises liability claim:
- Hospital (or any other defendant) owned, leased, occupied, or controlled the property where the slip and fall accident occurred;
- Hospital was negligent in its use or maintenance of the property;
- Plaintiff was harmed; and
- Hospital’s negligence was a substantial factor in causing the plaintiff’s harm.
Under California law, a person or entity—including a hospital—is considered to be negligent if that party “fails to use reasonable care to keep the property in a reasonably safe condition.” In addition, anyone responsible for a property “must use reasonable care to discover any unsafe conditions and to repair, replace, or give adequate warning of anything that could be reasonably expected to harm others.”
When a court is determining whether a hospital is negligent and whether it used reasonable care, the court can consider the location of the property, the likelihood of another person being on the property as the plaintiff was, likelihood of harm, probable seriousness of the harm, whether the hospital knew or should have known about the risk of harm, the difficulty of protecting against the risk of harm, and the extent of the hospital’s control over the condition that led to the harm.
A slip and fall accident lawyer in Los Angeles can discuss the specific facts of your case and can determine whether you will be able to prove the necessary elements in order to obtain compensation for your losses.
Successful Hospital Slip and Fall Case Stories
The Slip and Fall Lawyers at Fisher & Talwar have represented people who have been injured in a variety of accidents. In fact, we have successfully represented people who have slipped or tripped and fallen in hospitals in the past. Our client was visiting her father who was in the hospital. Her father was in the final hours of his life. While visiting her father, our client tripped over a medical device cord that was not stored in accordance with hospital safety procedures. As a result, she fell and was severely injured. She was taken for treatment and while away, her father passed away. Because of an unsafe condition, our client was unable to be with her father as he passed away. All the money in the world could not allow her to spend those precious final moments with her father but, the settlement amount was substantial enough to help her retired comfortably.
Attorney Vibhu Talwar
Contact a Hospital Slip and Fall Attorney in Los Angeles Today
Getting injured in a slip and fall accident at a hospital can result in debilitating and permanent injuries. It is extremely important to work with an aggressive and compassionate Los Angeles hospital slip and fall lawyer on your case. An advocate at Fisher & Talwar can speak with you today about your options for seeking financial compensation. Contact Fisher & Talwar for more information about how we serve clients in premises liability claims in California.