Corona Car Accident Lawyer
Car accidents happen every day on California’s roads and leave behind badly-injured motorists and wrecked vehicles. At Fisher & Talwar, we help car accident victims get the compensation they need when someone else negligently or recklessly crashes into them.
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury, please contact us right away. Any delay could compromise your ability to receive the compensation you deserve.
Car Accident Injuries
At Fisher & Talwar, we have seen all types of injuries, ranging from mild to life-altering. For example, many of our clients have suffered from:
- Cuts, scrapes, lacerations, and abrasions. Though these generally heal, they might become infected and develop complications. Scarring on a visible part of the body, such as the face, can also cause severe emotional distress.
- Burns. A gas tank might explode, or acid from a car battery could splash on motorists. Superficial, first-degree burns should heal without any scarring in a couple weeks. However, more serious burns could require skin grafting and leave behind painful scars.
- Strains or sprains. These soft-tissue injuries can often heal on their own with rest and ice. However, severe injuries could require surgery.
- Internal organ damage. Any damage could compromise function or cause the organ to fail altogether.
- Nerve damage. Chronic pain can result and might leave someone immobile.
- Head injuries. Injury to the face, ears, eyes, and nose could dramatically reduce quality of life. If a skull fractures, then you might need surgery to relieve the pressure on the brain.
- Traumatic brain injuries. Any traumatic blow can change how the brain works, leading to impaired memory, speech, sleep, and mobility. Traumatic brain injuries often require rehabilitation.
- Amputations. Motorists can lose a limb in a devastating crash.
- Spinal cord injuries. Any damage to the cord can lead to reduced sensation and/or mobility. Someone can suffer paralysis in only the legs or in all four limbs.
These are only some of the physical injuries we see after a car accident. Many physical injuries are also paired with severe emotional distress and pain.
After a crash, you probably suffer bodily injuries as well as damage to your vehicle. In California, injured motorists can receive compensation for a variety of losses, such as the following.
Even relatively minor injuries can cost thousands of dollars to treat. Our clients have received compensation for:
- Transportation to the hospital or doctor
- Hospital stays
- Doctor visits
- Counseling or therapy
- Prescription drugs
- Devices like crutches or wheelchairs
To add up how much you might receive, find your medical bills and receipts. Most clients can receive 100% of the amount spent on medical care.
An accident could keep you out of work for weeks or possibly longer, compromising your ability to pay your bills and provide for your loved ones. Fortunately, car accident victims can receive compensation for lost wages. Find your pay stubs and total up the amount you have lost.
If you are self-employed, you are also eligible to receive lost income. Remember that you will need to establish with reasonable certainty how much money you have lost. Find cancelled contracts or other evidence.
The accident probably damaged your car or possibly even totaled it. You can receive compensation to repair or replace your vehicle. Find repair estimates that will help prove the amount you have lost.
Pain and Suffering
California law also allows victims to receive compensation for losses that are harder to measure in dollars and cents. These harms include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress, for negative emotions like grief, embarrassment, or anger
- Impaired quality of life
A client’s spouse might also have claim for “loss of consortium,” which refers to changes in a relationship, such as the loss of companionship, care, comfort, and sexual relations. Usually, loss of consortium claims do not result in significant compensation unless a motorist has suffered devastating injuries like paralysis or severe traumatic brain injury.
Why You Need a Lawyer
Many people refuse to hire a lawyer to handle their car accident claim, wrongly believing that they are more than capable of filing a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company on their own. However, many things can go wrong. We have seen too many clients commit the following mistakes:
- Giving a recorded statement to the insurance company soon after the accident. Chances are you are probably still in pain and not necessarily thinking clearly. It is very easy to say something inaccurate in these situations, and an insurance company will use anything you say to shift blame for the accident onto you.
- Not preserving evidence. If your car was damaged, it could contain important information. Some people have their car repaired, which causes the evidence to be lost.
- Inaccurately valuing their injuries. Many people do not understand how to value intangible losses like pain and suffering or emotional distress. As a result, they do not ask for enough money from the at-fault driver’s insurer.
- Refusing to negotiate with an insurer. An insurance adjuster does not work for you. Instead, they work for a giant insurance company, whose only goal is to save as much money as possible. For this reason, some people settle their cases for too little money.
After an accident, you should call the police to come to the scene and seek immediate medical treatment. Remember to follow your doctor’s orders closely. You should also find a Corona, California car accident attorney to represent you.
Call a Car Accident Attorney in Corona Today
After a car accident, you might not know where to turn or whether anyone will help you. We can. At Fisher & Talwar, our Corona car accident lawyers have obtained many favorable settlements for our clients, and we are anxious to put our skills to use for you, too.
Whether your accident was relatively minor or life threatening, we want to hear from you. We can also represent surviving family members in wrongful death lawsuits for the death of a loved one. Contact us today.