I Fell on Apartment Stairs, Can I Sue the Apartment Complex?

Fell on Stairs

If the stairs were in violation of a building code or considered to in a “dangerous condition”, you can sue the landlord and/or the management company for injuries sustained as a result of falling off stairs.

Staircase may be deemed a dangerous condition if:

  • They did not comply with building code and other ordinances
  • Lacked adequate lighting
  • The surface of the staircase was slippery
  • The staircase had uneven stairs/steps
  • Lacked a handrail or the handrail
  • Insufficient rail guards (too low)
  • Debris / objects in the stairwell that block path
  • Worn out / buckled carpeting

In personal injury cases it is your burden to establish the elements of a premises liability claim. In doing so, you will have to answer the following questions:

  • Did the landlord know that the staircase was in a dangerous condition?
  • What steps did the landlord take to fix the dangerous condition?
  • Were there prior accidents involving the same defect?

Answers to these questions will help determine your chances of prevailing in a personal injury case.

See “types of damages covered by slip and fall compensation” for further information.

The good news is that a knowledgeable slip and fall attorney will can ask the right questions and gather the evidence you need to get compensation for your injuries.

If you have sustained an injury as a result of a dangerous condition, it is imperative that you document the accident location.  This can be easily done by taking lots of pictures of the accident location and the defect that caused you to fall.

It is equally important to immediately contact a premises liability attorney to help you get money for your injuries.

When choosing an attorney, make sure he or she has had previous experience in handling premises liability claims. We have already discussed the number one reason slip and fall cases are unsuccessful, explaining how unprepared and inexperienced lawyers can fail their clients.

If your accident happened in California and you have questions regarding your accident, feel free to call (213-891-0777) or email me for a free consultation.

Leave a Reply

Click to Chat