Injured in an Airbnb
Top-Rated Premises Liability Attorneys Representing People Injured at Airbnbs in Los Angeles and Throughout Southern California
At Fisher & Talwar, our Los Angeles Airbnb accident attorneys are committed to helping injured victims recover the maximum financial compensation. We know how to hold property owners, Airbnb, and insurance companies accountable. If you or your loved one was injured at an Airbnb in Southern California, you need an experienced legal advocate on your side. To set up a free, no obligation initial consultation, please call our Los Angeles law office today.
The Most Common Airbnb Injuries
Airbnb injuries can occur in many different ways. Regardless of how your accident occurred or the severity of your injuries, our Los Angeles, CA premises liability attorneys are here to protect your rights and help you understand your legal options. Some of the most common causes of Airbnb accidents include:
- Failure to perform adequate maintenance;
- Inadequate lighting, especially in hallways and stairways;
- Negligent security, including broken locks on doors/windows;
- Dangerous or defective appliances;
- Hazards that cause slip and fall accidents;
- Broken or damaged stairways;
- Dog bites or other animal attacks; and
- Any other unreasonably dangerous conditions on the property.
What Should I Do If I Was Injured at an Airbnb in California?
If you or your loved one was injured while staying at an Airbnb in Southern California, it is critically important that you take the proper steps to protect your health, well-being, and legal rights. Here is a list of five things that you should do:
- Get Medical Attention: Serious injuries require evaluation from a qualified doctor. Nothing should come before your health. Make sure you get yourself checked out by a trustworthy healthcare provider. Please know, if you do not seek medical attention, you will not be eligible to bring a personal injury claim.
- Document the Accident: An Airbnb injury claim is an example of a premises liability lawsuit. To prevail in this type of legal claim, plaintiffs need evidence. To the best of your ability, try to document the scene and the accident. Write down what exactly happened, take pictures, and get the contact information for all witnesses. The more evidence and documentation that you can secure, the easier it will be to make a viable claim.
- Report the Incident: Accidents should be reported. As a general rule, it is best to report the accident to both the individual property owner and to the corporation. When you report an accident, you are not required to provide extensive details. Simply let all parties know that a serious injury occurred while you were staying at an Airbnb.
- Avoid Making a Statement to the Insurance Company: After reporting an incident, you should expect to receive a phone call from a representative of an insurance company. At this point in time, you are not required to give a statement. In fact, it is not in your best interest to speak to an insurance adjuster. Work through an attorney.
- Call a Los Angeles Airbnb Injury Lawyer: Do not go up against Airbnb or a large insurance company alone. You need an experienced Los Angeles premises liability lawyer in your corner. Our law firm will ensure that your rights and interests are protected. Contact our Airbnb injury attorneys for a free review of your case.
When Can You Hold an Airbnb Liable for an Accident?
Similar to an apartment injury claim or a hotel injury claim, Airbnb injury claims are based on the negligence standard. To hold Airbnb or an individual host liable for your injuries, you must be able to present evidence that proves that their negligence was the cause of your accident. The Judicial Council of California Civil Jury Instructions explains that negligence is a violation of the basic standard of care. It occurs when a defendant creates a safety risk—either by their actions or inactions—that is inconsistent with what a reasonably prudent person would have done in a similar situation.
Understanding Airbnb’s Insurance Policies
With the Airbnb business model, guests are typically staying in an apartment, condo, or house that is owned by another party. Some properties are listed on Airbnb on a full-time basis, and they may even be owned by a large third party property developer or company. Other properties are only listed on the platform sporadically, and they are owned by individuals who reside in that property much of the time.
In accordance with California state law, Airbnb has a duty to provide insurance to its customers—hosts and guests. As explained by Airbnb, the standard insurance policy is Host Protection Insurance coverage. Through this policy, individuals and companies that list properties with the service are covered for up to $1,000,000 for a third party bodily injury claim. In most, but not all cases, your Airbnb accident claim will be brought against this commercial policy.
Recover Full and Fair Financial Compensation for Your Injuries
Through a premises liability claim in California, injured victims can recover financial compensation for both monetary and intangible losses. Of course, large corporations like Airbnb and big insurance companies do not make the claims process easy. They will try to resolve your claim for the lowest settlement figure possible—denying coverage altogether if they can get away with it. At Fisher & Talwar, our Los Angeles Airbnb lawyers are here to help you maximize your recovery. If you or your loved one was injured at an Airbnb, you may be eligible to recover financial compensation for:
- Ambulance fees;
- Emergency room treatment;
- Medical bills;
- Rehabilitative care;
- Lost wages;
- Diminished earning potential;
- Pain and suffering;
- Scarring & disfigurement;
- Long term disability; and
- Wrongful death of a loved one.
Call Our Los Angeles Airbnb Injury Lawyers Today
At Fisher & Talwar, our California premises liability attorneys have the skills, experience, and tenacity needed to handle the full range of Airbnb injury claims. If you or your loved one was hurt while staying at an Airbnb, we are here to help.
To request a free, no commitment review of your case, please contact our law firm right away. With an office location in Downtown Los Angeles, we represent injured victims throughout the region, including in Anaheim, Santa Ana, Riverside, San Bernardino, Santa Clarita, and Glendale.