Fresno Personal Injury Lawyer
Accidents happen every day in Fresno and when they do, people sustain very serious injuries. These injuries cost victims a lot of money in medical expenses, and they cause a great deal of pain and suffering. It is not uncommon for accident victims to lose time from work and sometimes, they cannot ever return to the same line of work again.
If you have been hurt as a result of another person’s careless actions, you can file a personal injury claim against them to recover financial compensation. Although compensation can never undo the accident, it can help offset the financial burden of your injuries and other losses. Our Fresno personal injury lawyer can help you claim the full damages you deserve.
Personal injury law encompasses many different practice areas. Our Fresno personal injury lawyer can help if you have been hurt in any of the following scenarios:
- Slip and fall accidents: Slip and fall accidents are some of the most common types of personal injury claims. Falling under the legal area of premises liability, you can hold a property owner liable for paying compensation if a hazardous condition on their premises caused your injuries. You must prove the owner knew or should have known, about the dangerous condition and that you were legally allowed on the property at the time.
- Car accidents: Car accidents are governed by tort law in Fresno and throughout California. This means you must file a claim with the negligent driver’s insurance company to collect damages for your losses.
- Bicycle accidents: With little more than a helmet to protect them, cyclists are very exposed when they share the road with larger vehicles. When a car or other vehicle strikes them, bicyclists usually sustain very serious injuries. Not only will injury occur at the location of impact, but a cyclist will also likely fall off their bike, sustaining secondary injuries as they do.
- Motorcycle accidents: Motorcycle accidents differ from other auto accidents on the road. Like cyclists, bikers often sustain very serious injuries during a crash because they too have very little protection. Motorcyclists also often have to go up against the biases held against them by insurance companies, judges, and juries.
- Truck accidents: Like motorcycle accidents, collisions involving commercial trucks are also quite different from other traffic accidents. Trucks will cause much more serious injuries due to their massive size and weight. Federal and state laws also govern these crashes, and multiple parties may be liable, which makes filing a claim more challenging.
- Defective products: Consumers use products every day and they never expect to become hurt by them. Unfortunately, defective products cause very serious injuries. When they do, manufacturers can be held liable.
- Bus accidents: Whether traveling on Fresno Area Express or taking a longer trip on a private bus such as Greyhound, accidents still happen. These claims are extremely complicated and so, it is always best to work with a lawyer who has the necessary experience with them.
- Dog bites: Dogs are not always man’s best friend. When they bite and attack, people suffer serious injuries. Dog bites are governed by strict liability in Fresno, which means you only have to prove that the dog bit you and that you suffered injuries as a result.
- Wrongful death: Tragically, accidents are sometimes so severe, that victims do not survive them. When that is the case, surviving family members can file a wrongful death claim to recover the losses of their loved one, and their damages, as well.
Available Damages in Personal Injury Claims
Damage is a legal term for financial compensation. The type of damages available in your case will depend on the circumstances of your case and the type of accident you were involved in. Still, there are some common types of damages awarded in personal injury claims in Fresno, and they are as follows:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of companionship and support
- Property damages
- Funeral and burial expenses, in the case of wrongful death
No one can determine the value of any one personal injury claim without first fully reviewing the facts of the case. A Fresno personal injury lawyer will be able to accurately determine the full amount of damages you deserve.
Statute of Limitations in Personal Injury Claims
All personal injury claims in Fresno are governed by a statute of limitations, or a time limit. In most cases, the statute of limitations is two years from the date of the accident, but there are exceptions to the law. For example, if you did not discover your injuries until some time after the accident, the clock on the statute of limitations may not start until the day of discovery. On the other hand, if you are filing a claim against the government, the time limit you have to file may be much shorter.
The two-year statute of limitations sounds like a lot of time to accident victims, but it is not. Before filing your claim, a lawyer will have to conduct a full investigation to determine how the accident happened, and collect evidence to prove your case. They may also have to locate witnesses to obtain their statements. All of this takes time and so, it is important to speak to a lawyer as soon as possible after an accident. If you do not file your claim before the statute of limitations expires, you will probably lose your legal right to claim any damages at all.
Our Personal Injury Lawyer in Fresno Can Provide Sound Legal Advice
If you have been injured as a result of another person’s carelessness, you can file a claim for damages. Personal injury claims often present many challenges, though. At Fisher & Talwar, our Fresno personal injury lawyer knows how to overcome those challenges so you can claim the full compensation you are entitled to. Call us now at (213) 891-0777 or fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation with our attorney and to obtain the sound legal advice you need.