Malibu, CA Car Accident Lawyer
Motor vehicle accidents can happen almost anywhere in Malibu, from higher speed collisions on California Highway 1 to crashes in beach parking lots or even accidents that happen when a Malibu resident pulls out of his or her driveway. While high-speed crashes do often result in more serious injuries, it is important to remember that even an accident that occurs when cars are stopped at a red light or while vehicles are moving at relatively slow speeds in Malibu parking lot areas can lead to severe and debilitating injuries.
Whether you live in Southern California or are vacationing when an accident happens, it is essential to have a Malibu, CA car accident lawyer on your side. At Fisher & Talwar, we have been representing plaintiffs in Southern California for years and can discuss your case with you today. The quicker you get in touch with a lawyer to file a claim, the sooner you may be able to get the financial compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Malibu, CA Car Accidents
There are many different reasons that car accidents happen in Malibu, ant the dedicated Malibu car accident lawyers at Fisher & Talwar represent clients in many different kinds of motor vehicle crash cases. According to Business Insider, the following are among the most common causes of traffic collisions in California and across the country:
- Reckless driving, which may include speeding, changing lanes erratically or too quickly, changing lanes without signaling, running red lights or stop signs, tailgating or following too closely, and other behaviors that may be described as road rage;
- Drunk driving or impaired driving, which can include driving after consuming too much alcohol, or even driving after taking prescription drugs that impair your ability to behave safely on the road;
- Distracted driving, which often includes talking or texting on a cell phone but also can include other common behaviors like eating while driving, reaching for objects in the passenger seat, and even engaging in conversations with other passengers;
- Drowsy driving, which often occurs when a driver has not gotten enough sleep the night before getting on the road;
- Auto defects, which may include defective vehicle parts like brakes or fuel pumps; and
- Inclement weather.
Even if the weather is bad, it is important to know that drivers are not automatically “off the hook,” so to speak, for accidents that occur. When there are high winds or low visibility in Southern California, drivers have a duty to behave reasonably according to the conditions. If the conditions are particularly bad, a reasonable driver likely would slow down considerably. Accordingly, if a driver is still traveling at a maximum speed limit, that driver may be liable for injuries in a wreck.
What to Do After a Motor Vehicle Collision in Malibu, California
If you are involved in a motor vehicle crash in or around Malibu, it is important to take a number of steps to preserve your right to compensation. You should do the following in order to ensure that you remain eligible to file a strong car accident claim with the help of your Malibu car accident attorneys:
- Contact the police if anyone has been injured in the crash, and provide the police with any factual information they seek (such as your name and contact information). You should avoid offering up any subjective information that could lead the police to write a report that suggests you are partially to blame for the accident or to give you a citation.
- Photograph the scene of the car accident, being sure to take many different pictures from a wide variety of distances and angles. It may be necessary to work with an accident reconstruction expert to prove your version of events, and these kinds of photos can be extremely valuable as evidence to support your position. You should also be sure to document injuries and property damage inasmuch as you are able to do so.
- Obtain contact information for anyone at the scene, including witnesses and other people involved in the crash.
- Seek medical attention, recognizing that many types of injuries do not cause immediate signs or symptoms. If you wait too long, the defendant might argue that you are partially at fault for your own injuries.
- Contact your insurance company, reporting only the facts. Do not offer subjective information and always keep in mind that the insurance company is not on your side. Insurance companies are only interested in their bottom line and are not advocates for their insureds under any circumstances. Your lawyer will advocate for your right to compensation.
- Seek advice from an experienced Malibu CA auto accident lawyer who can represent your interests throughout the claims process.
Car Accident Statute of Limitations in Malibu, CA
Every personal injury claim has a specific statute of limitations or time window for filing a claim. Under California law, most car accident lawsuits in Malibu have a 2-year statute of limitations. The time window for filing your claim opens up on the date of your injury (i.e., the date of the car accident), and then you have two years from that point to file a claim.
You might think that two years is quite a long time, but time can go by quickly when you start the claims process with an auto insurance claim. Moreover, if you wait too long, valuable evidence to support your case can be lost. It is in your best interest to begin working with an experienced car accident lawyer in Malibu, CA as soon as possible.
Contact a Car Accident Attorney in Malibu, California
Were you or someone you love injured in a crash in Malibu, California? You may be eligible to file a claim for financial compensation, and you should not delay. The sooner you get in touch with an experienced auto accident lawyer in Malibu, CA, the quicker you may be entitled to receive financial compensation for your losses. Contact Fisher & Talwar to learn more about the services we provide to car accident victims in Malibu and throughout Southern California.
Other Long Beach Practice Areas
Personal Injury | Auto Accidents | Bicycle Accidents | Pedestrian Accidents | Wrongful Death | Motorcycle Accidents | Truck Accidents | Bus Accidents | Defective Products | Dog Bites | Slip & Fall Accident