Experienced Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers Serving the Malibu Area
Malibu is well-known for its mild Mediterranean climate, being the home of Hollywood movie stars, and its miles of beautiful beaches. And while Malibu may indeed be one of the best places to live in the entire country, if not the entire world, even those who call Malibu home are not immune from the risk of accident and injury.
One common type of accident is a slip and fall. Occurring on properties of all types and affecting persons of all ages and demographics, a slip and fall has the potential to be a serious injury type that leads to long-term harm and large financial costs. At the office of Fisher & Talwar, our Malibu slip and fall lawyers are here to provide support, guidance, and legal counsel if you’ve been in a slip and fall and need to recover monetary damages for harm suffered. Reach our law firm today for a free consultation.
How a Slip and Fall Can Change Your Life
Most people probably wouldn’t instinctively think of a slip and fall accident as being the most severe or dangerous of accident types. And while it’s true that slip and falls can be minor, sometimes, they leave those involved with serious injuries. These injuries might include head and traumatic brain injuries, soft tissue injuries, bone fracture injuries, and back and neck injuries, amongst others. When serious injuries are suffered, a person’s life may be changed in a way that is challenging and trying.
- Medical costs. One of the most significant effects of a slip and fall accident will come in the form of medical bills associated with injury treatment. It is no secret that healthcare in our country is very expensive; for those without healthcare coverage or without adequate coverage, being involved in an accident could mean crushing medical debt, resulting in insolvency and even the need to file bankruptcy in some cases.
- Lost wages. Large amounts of medical debt and financial pressures may be compounded by the fact that a person who suffers serious injuries might be unable to work as a result, resulting in lost wages and an inability to provide for oneself. This can exacerbate financial strain on a family.
- Disability. Being involved in a slip and fall accident could result in injuries that are not only costly and painful, but also disabling. In addition to being unable to return to work either temporarily or permanently, a person may also lose their ability to walk, play with their kids, work out, or perform basic tasks, like self-care.
- Pain, suffering, and emotional distress. Suffering a serious injury is often associated with a wide range of intangible losses, such as physical pain and suffering and emotional distress and anguish.
Our Malibu slip and fall lawyers believe that you deserve to be compensated for the full extent of your losses, both financial and countable, and intangible and noneconomic. We’ll work hard to maximize your settlement.
FREE CASE REVIEW
If you have been injured, contact us for a free review of your case and learn about your legal options.
$6 million – Auto Fatality
$1.5 million – Truck Fatality
$1.25 million – Drug Litigation
$3 million – Construction Defect
$4 million – Defective Tire
A Property Owner’s Duty of Care
In order to recover compensation for damages incurred as a result of a slip and fall, an investigation into the accident should be conducted in order to determine liability or legal responsibility. Often, liability for a slip and fall accident will rest on the shoulders of the owner of the property where the accident occurred. Indeed, a property owner can be held liable if they breach their duty of care. The duty of care of a property owner is to maintain property in a reasonably safe condition and to repair known hazards within a reasonable amount of time. If hazards cannot be repaired immediately, the property owner has a duty to provide warning of the hazard or take other steps to reasonably prevent a person from being injured as a result of the hazard.
Note that this duty is extended to all those who enter the property, and applies to all property owners, including owners of public properties, private properties, and residential properties. This duty of care may even be extended to trespassers; California juries are instructed to consider all circumstances under which the plaintiff came onto the defendant’s land in determining the duty of care owed by the property owner (defendant).
What You Need to Prove in a Claim Against a Property Owner
Keeping the above in mind, in order to bring a successful claim against a property owner and hold the owner of the property liable for damages incurred as a result of a slip and fall accident, you will need to prove that:
- A dangerous condition existed on the property. This might include a spill of a liquid or food; an obstacle or hazard in a walking area; a hole or depression; a broken elevator or escalator; a falling object; broken stairs or railings; or another hazard type.
- The property owner knew or should have known of the condition. The second thing that you will need to prove is that the property owner knew or should have known of the condition. The property owner cannot be held liable for something they did not know existed, and had no responsibility to know of.
- An unreasonable amount of time passed between when the property owner learned of the condition and when repairs should have been made. If a grocery store manager notices a spilled soda in an aisle, they should reasonably clean it up immediately. If a pothole forms in a road, though, the repair might reasonably take a few weeks or more to complete. What is “reasonable” depends on the situation. You must prove that an unreasonable amount of time passed without the property owner acting.
- The condition was the proximate cause of your injuries. Finally, you must be able to prove that your slip and fall accident and related injuries would not have occurred but for the dangerous condition on the property that went unremedied.
Why You Need a Malibu Slip and Fall Lawyer Working for You
A Malibu slip and fall lawyer will know how to build your case and prove liability, causation, and damages. By working with a lawyer, you’ll have an advocate on your side who can negotiate your settlement and improve your chances of recovering your maximum settlement.
At the law office of Fisher & Talwar, our Malibu slip and fall attorneys can help. Reach out to us today for your free consultation.
Fisher & Talwar
801 S Grand Ave, 11th Fl,
Los Angeles, CA 90017
By appointment only.
Vibhu Talwar – email@example.com
From CA-110 southbound take exit towards 6th St/Wilshire Blvd. Continue on 6th St, turn right on S Grand Ave., arrive at 801 S Grand.From CA 110 northbound take the 6th St/9th St exit toward Downtown/ Convention Center/ Figueroa St. Merge onto W 9th St and follow until turning left on S Olive St. Turn left on W 8th St, then left again on S Grand Ave.
Our offices are located 9 minutes from Dodger Stadium, 3 minutes from Staples Center, 3 minutes from LA Live, 5 minutes from Los Angeles City Hall, 3 minutes from Walt Disney Concert Hall, 7 minutes from Union Station, 25 minutes from San Fernando Valley and 20 minutes from San Gabriel Valley.
From Union Station take either Metro Red or Purple line. Go past Civic Center and Pershing Square; get off at 7th Street/Metro Center. Head south on Flower St, or Hope St (depending on which side you come out). Turn left on 8th St.
We offer free parking to our clients. Park in the structure at 801 South Grand Avenue and ask us to validate your parking.
Some of the Cities We Service:
- Long Beach
- Santa Ana
- San Bernardino
- Moreno Valley
- Huntington Beach
- Santa Clarita
- Garden Grove
Other Long Beach Practice Areas
Personal Injury | Auto Accidents | Bicycle Accidents | Pedestrian Accidents | Wrongful Death | Motorcycle Accidents | Truck Accidents | Bus Accidents | Defective Products | Dog Bites | Slip & Fall Accident