Experiencing a trip, slip, or a fall is something that everyone can likely attest to. However, what most people probably can’t say is that they have suffered a slip and fall that was serious enough to have caused severe, lasting, or expensive-to-treat injuries. For those who have been involved in serious slip and fall accidents, though, injuries could be disabling and costs, both economic and noneconomic, could be significant.
At the law offices of Fisher & Talwar, our Burbank slip and fall lawyers know that slip and fall accidents aren’t always minor, and can’t always be dismissed as insignificant. If you have been involved in a serious slip and fall accident and have questions about how you will pay for injuries and damages, please reach out to our law firm today. Our lawyers can investigate your case and determine liability, and then help you to bring forth a claim for damages.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Like most types of accidents that occur, slip and falls tend to be entirely preventable and are the results of dangerous conditions on properties that go uncorrected. Consider, for example, some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents:
- Broken stairs;
- Lack of handrails;
- Broken handrails;
- Defective elevators or escalators;
- Uneven walking surfaces;
- Spills of food, drink, or other slippery substances;
- Holes or depressions in walking areas;
- Torn or loose carpet;
- Physical hazards in walking area/obstacles in walking areas;
- Loose cords or wires;
- Lack of signage warning of dangerous areas;
- Falling objects; and
- Unstable surfaces.
A slip and fall can happen nearly anywhere – public parks and spaces, retail stores and commercial areas, and private properties are all potential slip-and-fall locations.
Injuries Resulting from a Slip and Fall
As stated above, it’s very possible for a slip and fall to be a minor accident type that doesn’t result in injuries other than a little soreness or light bruising. When slip and falls happen on hard surfaces, occur from a high height, or involve the individual landing in a certain position, though, the injuries can be much more serious. Common slip and fall injuries include:
- Concussion injuries. Traumatic brain injuries, such as a concussion injury, are common if a slip and fall accident results in the involved person hitting their head.
- Bone fracture injuries. Probably the most common type of injury is that of a bone fracture. Fractured hips, wrists, elbows, and clavicles are most common.
- Soft tissue injuries. Falling can result in soft tissue sprains and strains. A person may experience serious back or neck pain after a fall, or may also suffer a ligament tear, which is most common in the knees.
- Spinal cord injuries. Probably the least common, and certainly the most severe, injury type is that of a spinal cord injury. Spinal cord injuries can result in permanent paralysis, and occur when the spinal column (and therefore the cord) is impacted with a large amount of force.
In addition to the above, bruises, lacerations, and internal injuries are common, too. Psychological injuries, like depression, could develop after the accident as well.
Who’s Liable for a Burbank Slip and Fall?
A slip and fall can result in a range of serious injuries that are expensive to treat, leading to large medical bills and, sometimes, medical debt. In addition to medical costs, an affected person may also suffer lost wages if their injuries prevent them from working, as well as noneconomic costs, such as pain and suffering.
In order to be compensated financially for these losses, the injured party may have a cause of action against the party responsible for their accident and injuries. In a slip and fall case, the owner of the property where the accident occurred may be held liable for damages if:
- A dangerous condition existed on the property;
- The property owner knew or should have known of the dangerous condition;
- The property owner failed to remedy the condition in a reasonable amount of time or take action to warn those who entered the property of the condition; and
- The dangerous condition was the proximate cause of the person’s injuries.
Property owners have a duty to maintain their properties in a reasonably safe condition, and to repair hazards on the property within a reasonable amount of time. If this duty of care is breached and someone is harmed as a result, the property owner can be held liable for damages.
How Our Burbank Slip and Fall Lawyers Can Help
If you’ve been injured and are thinking about filing a slip and fall claim, you don’t have to navigate the process on your own. Our Burbank, CA slip and fall law firm can help by:
- Investigating your case;
- Gathering evidence and documentation to prove negligence and causation;
- Calculating your damages;
- Handling all paperwork and steps associated with filing the claim; and
- Negotiating your settlement.
Our lawyers also have litigation experience. While most slip and fall claims will settle out of court without the need for a trial, sometimes, litigation is the best option. If this is the case, you can count on our law firm to adeptly manage your suit and advocate for your best interests.
Take Action Now – Request a Free Consultation Today
In California, a person who is injured in a slip and fall claim only has two years from the date of the accident to bring forth a lawsuit for damages. Well before that two-year deadline, however, the claims process should be initiated. At the office of Fisher & Talwar, our Burbank slip and fall attorneys recommend connecting with an attorney as soon as possible after a slip and fall – doing so can have a positive outcome on your case.
Our lawyers are available to work hard for you, and will always put your best interests first. To learn more about what your claim may be worth and how to start the recovery process, please call our law firm directly today or send us a message requesting a free consultation.
Just because a person fell and injured themselves doesn’t give them the right to compensation. The law states that the injured individual must prove four important elements to have a successful case.
WHAT TO DO IF INJURED
If you or your loved ones were injured on public or private property, it may not be too late to make use of the following tips.
IMPACT OF EXPERT’S OPINION
One of the ways to build a strong case is to send experts to investigate the scene as soon as possible to form a credible opinion. Having an expert on your side can mean the difference between winning and losing.
HOW TO PRESERVE A CLAIM
You can help your attorney make an effective argument by preserving the clothes and shoes worn at the time of the accident. We wrote a detailed post describing what to do.
FELL ON STAIRS
Steps, stairs and staircases that are considered to be dangerous or do not meet the building code can be cause for a lawsuit. We discuss some of the common conditions that result in stair accidents.
FELL IN STORE
Grocery stores and shopping centers are common places for liquids to be spilled on the floor. Just by slipping on a liquid may not be cause for a lawsuit. We discuss factors that may show the owner, manager or employees were negligent in their behavior.
Give us a call (213) 891-0777 to see how we can help. For personal injury clients, you will never pay a fee unless we win your case.