LOS ANGELES PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT LAWYER
In 2009 there was almost the same number of pedestrian deaths as there were motorcycle deaths (around 4000-4500). Pedestrians often suffer some of the worst damage when involved in a crash with another vehicle. Pedestrians are the most vulnerable subjects to injury and severe impairment due to the lack of physical protection, safety measures, and the natural frailty of our human bodies.
Our Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Will Get You the Compensation You Deserve
- Do you know what you are entitled to when you’ve been involved in a pedestrian accident through no fault of your own?
- How much do you need for hospital and other medical bills?
- Will you have enough to support yourself and your family if you are unable to work due to your injuries?
Attorney Vibhu Talwar can answer those questions for you. We will address any questions and concerns you may have and if we accept your case you can rest assured that you are in good hands.
In many pedestrian accident cases, the victim is unable to return to work for prolonged periods of time and often cannot work at all due to permanent disability. There is emotional trauma to be addressed in terms of compensation and the degree to which the lives of victims and their families are disrupted. Our pedestrian accident lawyers can represent you or your loved ones to successfully recover the maximum compensation in a pedestrian accident civil suit.
Years of experience have taught us how to handle personal injury cases to get the most for our clients. Unlike other firms, we will personally handle your case from start to finish with your best interests in mind. We realize that insurance companies can be intimidating and will seek to settle quickly – not taking into account the true cost of your injuries both short and long term. Our careful examination of your case will ensure that all of your expenses are covered and that you are sufficiently compensated for the ordeal you’ve been put through.
Causes Of Pedestrian Accidents Resulting In Lawsuits
There are many different causes of pedestrian accidents, but most involve vehicle collisions with bystanders. Some of the more common bystander collision situations occur when:
- A driver is distracted, confused or preoccupied
- Drivers fail to yield
- Drivers fail to give right of way to pedestrians
- Drivers lose control of the vehicle due to speeding, lane changes, and poor weather conditions
- Drivers disobey traffic signals
- Drivers fail to utilize headlights and fog lights when conditions require to do so
Vehicle-pedestrian collisions create terrible accident scenes where fatalities are frequent. Survivors have a long road to recovery and incur large medical bills in the process, not to mention the pain and disruption of normal life activities.
Types Of Damages Recoverable In A Pedestrian Accident Claim
Pedestrian accidents lead to tragic injuries and an unfathomable amount of losses for a victim. These injuries can leave a pedestrian with long-term, disabling injuries, permanent scars that are disfiguring, an inability to work and earn an income, psychological injuries, and other repercussions. If you have been in a crash, our experienced LA pedestrian accident attorneys can advocate for you every step of the way. Types of damages that you may be able to recover in a pedestrian accident claim include:
- Lost wages. If you are injured to the point where you are unable to work, lost wages will comprise a large portion of your settlement amount. This is especially true if you are young and just starting out in your career and had big prospects ahead of you before the accident happened. Not only will you be able to recover the actual value of compensation that you’ve lost and are expected to lose, but also damages for your loss of earning capacity. This can factor in the loss of benefits that you are likely to experience as a result of your inability to work–or work at the same capacity that you did prior to the accident–too.
- Medical expenses. The other type of compensation that will make up a big chunk of your recoverable damages award is that of medical expenses. You deserve to be compensated for the full value of your medical expenses, including compensation for hospital bills, surgeries, treatment, medication, future doctors’ visits, rehabilitation and therapy, and more. Our lawyers will work with medical experts to calculate the value of your medical expenses and the value of expected expenses you may incur in the future.
- Noneconomic losses. As stated above, a person who is involved in a serious pedestrian accident will likely incur a variety of non-economic losses in addition to their economic losses. These might include pain, suffering, emotional distress, loss of consortium, psychological injuries, and more. Psychological injuries can include the development of depression, anxiety, or post-traumatic stress disorder. A person involved in a pedestrian accident may also experience feelings of grief and loss, low self-confidence and self-image, and feelings of hopelessness about the future.
If you have suffered any other losses not listed, our lawyers are here to hear you out, gather evidence to support your claim, and aggressively negotiate for your right to compensation.
Frequently Asked Questions About Pedestrian Accidents In Los Angeles
If you’ve been in a pedestrian accident or are representing a loved one who has been severely injured or killed in a pedestrian accident, you probably have a lot of questions about the law, your rights, and the process of filing a claim and recovering compensation. Please call our law firm directly for answers that are specific to your situation – in the meantime, here are a few answers to some of our most frequently asked questions–
- Does a pedestrian always have the right of way? Many assume that pedestrians always have the right of way and, as such, a driver will always be found at fault for a crash. While drivers often are to blame, this is not always the case. Pedestrians have a duty to yield to motor vehicles in certain cases, including when traffic lights indicate that drivers have the right of way. As such, a pedestrian could be found to be at fault or partially at fault for a collision in some cases.
- What happens if I’m found to be partially at-fault for my accident? If you are found to be partially at fault for your pedestrian accident–say, for example, the other driver ran a red light but you were distracted at the time it happened–the amount of damages that you can recover may be reduced in proportion to your degree of fault. For example, if you suffer $10,000 in losses and are found to be five percent at fault, you would only be able to recover $9,500 from the other party.
- What happens if the driver who hit me doesn’t have insurance? There are few things more upsetting than a pedestrian accident in which the at-fault driver doesn’t carry the required liability insurance. If this is the case, however, there may still be other sources of compensation available, including filing a lawsuit directly against the driver in some cases. Other sources of compensation might include your own car insurance policy, your health insurance policy, and an insurance policy of another party who contributed to the accident.
What Is A Pedestrian Accident and Why Should You Hire Fisher & Talwar to Represent You In Yours?
A pedestrian accident is any type of accident in which a motor vehicle and a pedestrian collide. This might include small accidents where a car slightly bumps a pedestrian at a crosswalk or in a parking lot, to large, catastrophic accidents where a pedestrian is severely injured when a car hits them when traveling at high speeds. If you’ve been in a pedestrian accident and have suffered serious losses and damages, including physical and psychological injuries, long-term disability, medical bills, and lost wages, you need a serious pedestrian injury attorney on your side who will fight for you. Here’s why you should hire Fisher & Talwar to represent you in your pedestrian accident claim–
- We’re experienced and knowledgeable. When you have been severely injured in a pedestrian accident, two of the most important characteristics in an attorney is that they are both experienced and knowledgeable – these attributes can have a big impact on the outcome of your case. At the office of Fisher & Talwar, we have decades of combined experience, including litigation experience, and always stay abreast of changes in the law.
- We have the resources necessary. While you may think that all you need to do to win your case is submit a claim and proof of your injuries, it’s not that simple; instead, you’ll need to prove the fault of the driver, prove that your injuries would not have occurred but for the actions of the driver, and prove the extent of your injuries. In order to prove these elements, a thorough investigation will be necessary. At the office of Fisher & Talwar, we have the resources necessary to fully investigate your case, as well as maintain a staff who can assist with organization and claim-building. A lack of resources will never be a hold up to your claim’s success.
- We have a reputation for excellence. One reason to choose our law firm for representation during your pedestrian accident claim is that we have a reputation for excellence. We know what it takes to win on our clients’ behalf and we go above and beyond to make sure our clients get the outcome they’re expecting. We have been recognized by AVVO, Super Lawyers, the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Martindale-Hubbell’s AV Preeminent rating, the National Trial Lawyers, and more.
- We are results-driven. We know that when you’ve been severely injured in a pedestrian accident, the most important thing to you is making sure that you receive the compensation that you deserve. We are as results-driven as you are, and promise that we will work hard to improve your chances of getting the settlement that you deserve.
- We’ll handle all of the details. Finally, when you choose the law office of Fisher & Talwar, you can count on us to handle all of the details associated with your pedestrian injury claim so that you can focus on your recovery. This ranges from gathering evidence to filing to claim documents to negotiating your settlement and more. You can count on us to act on your behalf and to always prioritize your best interests.
Relevant Evidence in a Pedestrian Accident
The evidence needed to prove fault will depend on the circumstances. In some situations, a driver will outright admit fault. Although this is ideal, it is far from the reality in most accidents. Instead, motorists deny that they are responsible, or they even try to pin responsibility for the accident on our client’s shoulders. Consequently, our clients need evidence to prove someone was at fault for the accident.
Some of the more important pieces of evidence include:
- Eyewitness testimony. Both you and the driver are witnesses. But your testimony, though helpful, is self-serving and will be viewed skeptically by an insurance adjuster or judge. As your attorney, we can find other witnesses who might have seen the crash. They can testify that the driver ran a red light or refused to yield. They can also testify that you were following the law and not jaywalking.
- Dashcam or security video. Many businesses have security cameras pointed at the sidewalk which capture events taking place in the street. These cameras might have captured the accident. Some vehicles are also equipped with dash cameras to help the driver with an insurance claim.
- Cell phone records. If the driver was on the phone and distracted, his or her cell phone records should capture the call. We can subpoena these records, which will establish that the driver was negligent in the moments leading up to the wreck.
- Truck electronic logs. Commercial vehicles are often equipped with data logs, which can show whether the driver braked or made some other action in the moment before a collision. This data is very helpful when a pedestrian is struck by one of these vehicles.
- Medical evidence. Sometimes medical records can establish how a vehicle impacted a person, which allows us to reconstruct the collision and assign liability.
It is vitally important to contact an attorney as soon as possible following a wreck. Witnesses and surveillance video can disappear quickly, so you will want an attorney’s help preserving it.
How to Choose Your Los Angeles Pedestrian Accident Attorney
This city has countless lawyers who can handle an insurance claim. What should you look for when choosing yours?
First, always pay attention to relevant experience. A criminal defense attorney might be a terrific advocate, but he might not know the first thing about personal injuries or pedestrian accidents.
Second, consider how comfortable you feel talking about your case with the lawyer. At Fisher & Talwar, we’ve found that a good working attorney-client relationship is vital for a successful outcome to your case. Not all lawyers are good listeners or know how to answer a question directly.
Third, look at the resources available to the lawyer. A modern law office has many paraprofessionals working on a case alongside the lawyers. You should feel comfortable in your interactions with all office staff and never feel intimidated.
Finally, trust your instincts. Only you know whether you’ve found a lawyer with the “right fit.” Continue to schedule consultations with attorneys if you are still unsure of who to hire.
We Can Help
Los Angeles pedestrian accident attorneys at Fisher & Talwar are experienced and knowledgeable at litigating pedestrian accident cases in Southern California. We go over every detail of your case and make sure nothing is overlooked.
Call us today for a free consultation: (213) 891-0777 or drop us a line through our contact form. If you have any questions, we will be happy to answer them for you free of charge. There is no obligation and you won’t be charged attorney fees until we recover for you.
Other Los Angeles Practice Areas
Personal Injury | Auto Accidents | Bicycle Accidents | Pedestrian Accidents | Wrongful Death | Motorcycle Accidents | Truck Accidents | Bus Accidents | Defective Products | Dog Bites | Slip & Fall Accident | Boat Accidents | Bone Fractures | Brain Injuries | Burn Injuries | Construction Accidents | Crane Accidents | Defective Drugs | Distracted Driving Accidents | Drunk Driving Accidents | Electrical Shock Accidents | Elevator Accidents | FedEx Truck Accidents | Gas Station Slip & Fall Accidents | Longboarding Accidents | Premisis Liability Accidents | School Bus Accidents | Spinal Cord Injuries | Swimming Pool Accidents | Train Accidents |