Thousand Oaks, CA Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck accidents lead to more than 120,000 injuries and fatalities every year in the US and, unfortunately, they’re on the rise. According to the Traffic Safety Facts report prepared by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), traffic fatalities and injuries both increased over 12 percent in 2017 as compared to the previous two years. Victims suffer tremendous losses and know they have rights, but many don’t know where to turn to enforce them.
Our attorneys at Fisher & Talwar know how overwhelmed you must be when your life has been turned around by a truck crash, which is why we are dedicated to fighting for victims like you. We put your interests first in settlement negotiations, and we’ll aggressively pursue your case if litigation becomes necessary. Please contact our office right away to speak with a member of our team. We’re happy to explain how a Thousand Oaks, CA truck accident lawyer is your best asset in getting the compensation you deserve.
California Truck Collisions by the Numbers:
One of the most troubling truck accident statistics is logical when you consider the size of large 18-wheelers. Approximately 73 percent of all fatalities AND injuries in truck crashes were occupants of the passenger vehicle, as opposed to the truck driver. Additional data reveals that:
- There are around 13,000 truck accidents in California every year.
- The number of fatalities from truck crashes within the state increased in recent years. Just over 300 people died on average during 2014-2015, but that number was more than 410 for 2016-2018.
- When it comes to injury-causing truck crashes, the three-year average from 2017 to 2019 is around 5,200 victims.
- California ranks high on the list of US states that see the highest number of deadly truck accidents. When added together, the top 10 states make up for 51 percent of all such crashes.
- Distracted driving tends to be an issue in semi accidents. Up to 6 percent of all motor vehicle collisions are linked to a truck driver texting, talking, surfing the internet, posting to social media, and other risky activities.
- Weekday work hours in California, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, are extremely dangerous. Around 78 percent of all fatal truck crashes occur during this time frame.
How Trust Accident Claims Work:
In most cases, your first step in seeking monetary damages will be filing a claim with the truck driver’s insurance company. Though you may think your case is clear-cut, you might encounter pushback from the insurer. These organizations are driven by profits like any other business, so your claim is a threat to the company’s bottom line. Even when you fill out the proper forms and supply documents, you might get a low-ball counteroffer or your claim may be denied entirely.
When the insurance company isn’t willing to settle for a fair, reasonable amount in monetary damages, you’ll typically need to go to court to recover proper compensation. Truck accident litigation requires skill and meticulous knowledge of the legal concepts, relevant statutes, and court procedural rules.
Our Thousand Oaks, CA truck accident lawyers at Fisher & Talwar have extensive experience dealing with insurance claims and in court. Working with you, we’ll undertake such tasks as:
- Conducting an investigation into the causes and contributing factors behind the truck crash;
- Completing necessary forms and other paperwork for the insurance company;
- Negotiating with the insurance adjuster in an attempt to settle your claim;
- Preparing the complaint and documentation to initiate litigation;
- Representing you through the pre-trial process; and,
- Taking your case to a full trial on the merits.
What to do if You’re Injured in a California Truck Accident:
While our team will take care of the primary legal tasks, there are a few things you can do in the moments following the crash. For example:
- Your first priority should be getting proper medical care. Depending on the nature of your injuries, head to the emergency room, an urgent care center, or your own doctor. It’s best to seek treatment right away since delays affect your health and the strength of your truck accident claim.
- If you’re able, take pictures and gather evidence at the scene of the crash. You want to include images of the vehicles, physical characteristics, weather conditions, and other relevant factors.
- Talk to any witnesses who observed the crash, as these individuals may support your allegations that the truck operator was at fault.
- Avoid talking to representatives of the truck insurance company, other than to provide your name and contact information. You might reveal too much about the accident or your injuries, to your detriment.
- Never allow your statements to be recorded if you do speak to an insurance adjuster. Decline the request and direct this person to contact your truck accident lawyer.
Monetary Damages for Truck Crash Victims:
Every case is different, so it’s difficult to provide an exact value on what your California truck accident claim is worth. Instead, you should understand the types of compensation you might be able to recover. The amount is measured by your losses, which may include:
- Medical bills, including hospitalization, surgery, emergency treatment, and related care;
- Lost wages, if you were unable to work because of your injuries;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional and psychological anguish;
- Scarring and disfigurement;
- Diminished quality of life; and,
- Many more
Discuss Your Rights with a Thousand Oaks, CA Truck Accident Attorney
Hopefully, this overview of California truck accident claims has been helpful. At the same time, the complexities should convince you that retaining solid legal representation is essential. You’re at a disadvantage if you attempt to undertake the process on your own if you don’t have a background in law, especially at a time when you should focus on recovery. Our team at Fisher & Talwar has more than 50 years of combined experience in truck crash cases, so you can count on us to handle the process. To schedule a no-cost consultation with a skilled Thousand Oaks, CA truck accident lawyer, please call (213) 891-0777 or check us out online.
Other Thousand Oaks Practice Areas
Personal Injury | Auto Accidents | Bicycle Accidents | Pedestrian Accidents | Wrongful Death | Motorcycle Accidents | Truck Accidents | Bus Accidents | Defective Products | Dog Bites | Slip & Fall Accident