Ventura, CA Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck accidents are among the most deadly, tragic motor vehicle crashes that occur on roadways throughout the US, and California ranks high in terms of the frequency of these collisions. According to the Commercial Motor Vehicle Traffic Safety Fact Sheet prepared by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), California is #1 on the list of 10 US states that account for 51 percent of fatalities and 50 percent of fatal crashes. Thousands of other victims suffer serious, catastrophic injuries, leading to significant losses that affect entire families.
At Fisher & Talwar, our team is dedicated to helping you get the compensation you deserve after a truck accident turns your life around. We aggressively pursue insurance companies through the claims process, but we’re equally prepared to take your case to court to fight for your rights as a victim. Please contact our office to set up a free consultation with a Ventura, CA truck accident lawyer who can explain your legal rights and remedies. You might also find it helpful to review some important information about how these cases work.
Statistics on Truck Accidents in California
A closer look at additional data reveals the severe nature of truck crashes in the state:
- Every year, there are more than 13,000 truck accidents in California.
- Fatal truck collisions are on the rise in California. While just over 300 people were killed each year from 2014-2015, the average number of deaths annually from 2016-2018 was more than 410.
- Another statistic that has increased in recent years is the number of truck accidents that lead to injuries. In 2017, 4,978 people were hurt in these incidents, but that number rose to 5,411 in 2018. Though the figures are not yet in for 2019, the number of victims injured in California truck crashes is projected to be around 5,200.
- Distracted driving is just as much a factor in truck accidents as in other motor vehicle collisions. Approximately 6 percent of crashes are linked to a distracted truck operator and, of these, around 16 percent are related to cell phone use.
Your Rights as the Victim of a Truck Crash
The specific causes behind truck collisions vary, since every incident is unique. However, these accidents are usually the result of truck driver negligence, a term that has a very precise definition in the practice of law. Negligence is a theory of liability that allows you to recover compensation if you can prove four essential elements:
- You need to show that the truck operator had a duty to exercise caution when driving, so as to not create a risk of a crash;
- You must present facts demonstrating how the truck driver breached this legal duty through careless or reckless conduct;
- You need to establish a direct link between the breach of duty and the truck collision in which you were hurt; and,
- You must prove that you suffered losses because of your injuries.
In most truck accident situations, you’ll first seek monetary damages by filing a claim with the truck insurance company. Even when you have solid proof of the above four elements, you can expect some pushback from the insurer. These companies are businesses that rely on profits for their success, and your claim is a threat to their interests. An insurance adjuster may deny your claim or offer to pay an amount insufficient to cover your losses. Many company employees will dispute the severity of your injuries or try to blame you for the crash.
If the insurance company is unwilling to agree to a fair, reasonable settlement, you may need to file a lawsuit in court. Our Ventura, CA truck accident lawyers have extensive courtroom experience and advanced litigation skills, so your case is in good hands.
Complications in California Truck Accident Claims
California truck crash cases are similar in some ways to other auto collisions, but they’re also unique in many ways. For instance:
- Because trucks are so much larger and heavier than passenger cars, the injuries to victims in the smaller vehicles can be devastating. You’ll incur higher medical bills and be out of work, and the complications from your injuries may be permanent. It’s possible that you’ll lose some of your independence when you must rely on others for care and assistance with your daily routine.
- The amount at stake in a truck crash claim is higher since federal law requires truck operators to carry hundreds of thousands – or even millions – in insurance coverage. As such, insurance companies assign these cases to their best employees, who work hard to keep from paying you.
- There may be multiple parties in a truck accident case, beyond the truck driver and insurer. You may need to pursue a trucking company, owner of the rig, the driver’s employer, and many others to get monetary damages.
Monetary Damages for Your Losses
Our lawyers at Fisher & Talwar strive to recover full compensation for a wide range of losses in a truck accident case. You may be able to obtain damages for:
- Your medical costs, including surgery, emergency treatment, pain medications, rehabilitation services, hospitalization, and related care;
- Lost wages, future earning capacity, and lost business opportunities;
- Pain and suffering;
- Scarring and disfigurement;
- Emotional distress;
- Losses that affect your personal relationships with a spouse, children, and other loved ones;
- Decreased quality of life; and,
- Many other losses.
Consult with a Ventura, CA Truck Accident Attorney for Free
If you were hurt or lost a loved one in a truck crash, time is of the essence to retain experienced legal representation. Truck insurance companies have teams of lawyers and large budgets dedicated to paying you as little as possible, so you put your rights at risk if you try to go it alone. You can trust our attorneys at Fisher & Talwar to advocate on your behalf and get the highest compensation available under California law. Please contact our office at (213) 891-0777 or go online to schedule a no-cost case evaluation with a skilled Ventura, CA truck accident lawyer today.
Other Ventura Practice Areas
Personal Injury | Auto Accidents | Bicycle Accidents | Pedestrian Accidents | Wrongful Death | Motorcycle Accidents | Truck Accidents | Bus Accidents | Defective Products | Dog Bites | Slip & Fall Accident