A slip, trip, or fall accident can happen nearly anywhere, ranging from the parking lot of a business to a stranger’s property to your own home. When a slip and fall accident is the result of a property owner’s negligence, though, and when a slip and fall victim suffers damages as a result of the accident, compensation is deserved. At the offices of Fisher & Talwar, our Los Angeles gas station slip and fall lawyers are here to guide you through your rights if you have been involved in a slip and fall accident at a gas station in our city. Call us today to learn more about how we can help.
What Are Common Slip and Fall Accident Injuries?
When a person slips and falls, any part of their body may make contact with the ground, including an elbow, knee, tailbone, spine, head, and more. Depending upon the angle of the fall, the resiliency of the person, the surface on which the fall occurs, and the force involved in the fall, injuries that may result include:
- Bone fracture injuries, especially fractured wrists, elbows, and clavicles;
- Traumatic brain injuries;
- Spinal cord injuries;
- Soft tissue injuries, including ligament and muscle sprains and strains;
- Internal injuries; and
- Superficial injuries, including scrapes, cuts, and bruises.
Injuries like the above can be painful, challenging to live with, and expensive to treat. In some cases, injuries may also result in long-term disability; for example, a spinal cord injury will almost certainly leave the affected person with permanent partial or complete paralysis. Severe injuries of this sort can mean a diminished quality of life, lost wages and benefits, and psychological injuries, such as post-traumatic stress disorder, too.
FREE CASE REVIEW
If you have been injured, contact us for a free review of your case and learn about your legal options.
What Clients Say
I was rear ended as I was driving my car. Vibhu Talwar represented me and got me money for my car and my injuries. I was very happy with his services.
Mr. Talwar provided excellent council for my case. He was thorough, detailed and extremely knowledgeable about the letter of the law. He seemed to relish the challenge of competing against the huge law firm that brought a case against me. I would highly recommend Mr. Talwar for any legal needs.
Top Causes of Gas Station Slip and Fall Accidents
Gas stations may be a necessary location for the majority of Americans who drive to visit, but gas stations can also be dangerous, too. Hazardous conditions that may exist at a gas station and increase the risk of a slip and fall accident include spills of food and drink; spills of car fluids, including gas in some cases; wet or slippery walking areas; uneven walking surfaces; debris or objects in walkways; and loose cords and wires. Most of the time, conditions that exist at a gas station that contribute to a slip and fall, such as a spill, can and should be remedied by gas station staff. As such, the majority of slip and fall accidents are entirely preventable.
Liability for a Gas Station Slip and Fall Accident
A serious slip and fall, as discussed above, can leave an individual with major, long-term economic and noneconomic losses. For these damages, an individual who is involved in a slip and fall accident at a gas station deserves to be compensated.
If you have been involved in a gas station slip and fall, you may assume that there is nothing that you can do to recover compensation, and may even think that the fall was your own fault. However, in the event that the slip and fall was caused by a dangerous condition on the gas station property and not your own negligence or clumsiness, you may be able to bring a claim against the gas station for damages. In order for your claim to be successful, you must prove that:
- A dangerous condition existed on the property;
- The gas station owner (or staff member) knew or should have known about the dangerous condition;
- The gas station owner (or staff) failed to remedy the condition in a reasonable amount of time; and
- The dangerous condition was the proximate cause of your slip and fall accident and related injuries.
Note that the owner of a gas station/employer can be held liable for the actions of its employees, so long as those actions occurred during the course of employment. For example, if an employee on-the-clock should have cleaned up a spill of a soft drink in a gas station aisle and failed to do so, the employer could be held liable for any harm resulting from this negligent act.
Can I Sue if I Fell at a Gas Station? Questions to Consider After a Gas Station Slip and Fall
If you think that you may have a Los Angeles gas station slip and fall claim, it’s important to consider the following questions:
- What was the cause of your slip and fall accident? Remember, in order to bring a claim against a gas station, you must be able to prove that a dangerous condition was the proximate cause of your fall.
- Did the gas station owner/staff know of the dangerous condition? Sometimes, conditions exist on a property that are indeed dangerous, but that a property owner has no way of knowing. A property owner cannot be held liable for harm resulting from a condition of which they were not aware and did not have a duty to be aware of. For example, if the slip and fall was caused by an assault that happened at a gas station, and no assault had ever occurred on the property before and there was nothing the gas station staff could do to present the assault, the business likely cannot be held liable.
- How much time passed between when the owner learned of the condition and the accident happened? If the gas station learned of a spilled soft drink and took three minutes to finish up with a customer before cleaning the spill, and another customer slipped and fell in that three-minute time frame, the harmed customer may have a hard time proving that an unreasonable amount of time passed between when the staff learned of the condition and when the accident happened – only three minutes had passed. However, if 30 minutes had passed, that’s a different story.
Attorney Vibhu Talwar
Call an Experienced Gas Station Slip & Fall Lawyer Today
Bringing a claim against a business like a gas station on your own can be daunting. At the law offices of Fisher & Talwar, our experienced slip and fall lawyers in LA can review your case free of charge today and help you to understand your rights and options. From there, we will build your claim and work hard to get you the recovery amount you deserve. Call or send us a message today to learn more.
Other Los Angeles Practice Areas
Personal Injury | Auto Accidents | Bicycle Accidents | Pedestrian Accidents | Wrongful Death | Motorcycle Accidents | Truck Accidents | Bus Accidents | Defective Products | Dog Bites | Slip & Fall Accident | Boat Accidents | Bone Fractures | Brain Injuries | Burn Injuries | Construction Accidents | Crane Accidents | Defective Drugs | Distracted Driving Accidents | Drunk Driving Accidents | Electrical Shock Accidents | Elevator Accidents | FedEx Truck Accidents | Gas Station Slip & Fall Accidents | Longboarding Accidents | Premisis Liability Accidents | School Bus Accidents | Spinal Cord Injuries | Swimming Pool Accidents | Train Accidents |