If you were injured as a result of slipping/tripping and falling, you are probably wondering – what should I do? After all, slip and fall injuries can result in large medical debt unless you get the money you require to cover all expenses and to compensate you for your injuries.
By following these slip and fall tips you can be prepared should you ever find yourself in the unfortunate situation of getting hurt after falling. If the injuries result from negligence of someone else who failed to make their premises safe, you have the legal right to compensation.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
- Seek medical attention. Whenever you are injured in any kind of an accident, you should always seek medical attention first. Nothing is more important than your safety, and depending on severity of your injuries, you should always place your own well-being first. Getting medical attention will also ensure that your injuries are properly documented, which is essential to getting compensation to cover whatever treatment you receive.
- Report the accident. To ensure that there is proof of the accident happening, report it to the person in charge of the premises. Whether it’s a landlord, a homeowner or a property manager, you should always report the accident as soon as possible. In a place of business, the owner, landlord or manager should make an accident report. Make sure to follow through with them to see that a report is made, even if you can’t do so right away. Always try to get a copy of any report made if no police report is available.
- Document & take photos. Perhaps the most critical step is to document the accident and circumstances which lead to it. Take photos of the accident scene. The more photos the better. Be sure to take photos of the exact location where you fell, including pictures of any substances or objects that caused you to fall. Next, take notes of any other circumstances which may have contributed to your fall, such as:
- Did the accident take place indoors or outdoors?
- Were you on a sidewalk, crosswalk, roadway, an isle?
- Was it dark or bright? Was a light bulb missing or broken?
- If a spilled liquid existed, were there any other footprints visible?
- Were there any prior injuries as a result of the same defect / substance by you or anyone else that you know of?
- Has this defect or condition been reported to the owner / person in charge prior to the accident?
- How did the accident occur? Try to describe every detail of exactly what happened.
- Try to identify the defect that caused your fall. Was it a liquid, or some type of spill? What type of liquid or spill? Was it a pothole, a raised sidewalk or an uneven stair?
- Who is the owner of the premises on which you were injured? Is it a private property, a corporation, a municipality such as a city, state or a school district? It is crucial that the claim is made with the right entity, especially when the statute of limitations is close to running out.
- Collect witnesses information. Take down names and contact information for any witnesses who saw what happened.
- Preserve the clothing and shoes you were wearing at the time of the accident by placing them in a safe, clean storage place. It is important that you do not wash, clean or wear any of the items.
- Contact a slip and fall attorney before signing or agreeing to anything the insurance company asks you to sign. Insurance companies will often offer to pay your initial medical bills, and in the process make you give up your right to future compensation. In many cases, people do not feel the full extent of their injuries until later, when they’ve already given up their right to further compensation. When you contact an attorney, you can be sure that everything is done properly and that you get the maximum compensation you require, especially if injuries are permanent or you miss time off work.
Get a Free Legal Consultation
If you were injured as a result of a slip and fall accident, be sure to follow all of the tips listed here and to contact our attorneys for a free consultation. Fisher & Talwar has experience in handling slip and fall accidents and can get you the maximum compensation for your injuries.
Call us at (213) 891-0777