Being struck by a car while riding a bike is nothing short of a terrifying experience. Even if the crash happens at low speeds, making contact with a 4,000+ pound object is horrifying. And when the crash does happen at high speeds, the damages can be absolutely catastrophic. A cyclist involved in a Los Angeles bike crash may suffer head and traumatic brain injuries, broken limbs, internal injuries, spinal cord injuries, and more–all of which can lead to economic and noneconomic harm.
Navigating the claims process after a bike accident in LA can be confusing, frustrating, and complex. While there is no requirement to hire a lawyer to represent you throughout the process, doing so may have a positive impact on the outcome of your claim. As you search for attorneys near you, here are some tips for hiring the right lawyer for your Los Angeles bike accident claim–
Do Your Homework
When choosing an attorney, it’s best to start by doing some of your own research online. Here are some things to look for:
- Does the attorney work on bike accident claims? The first thing that you want to look for is whether or not the attorney works on bicycle accident claims. Even if they’re a highly rated lawyer, if they don’t work on cases relevant to what you’re going through, you should look for someone else. Specific experience can make a big difference.
- How much experience does the attorney have? Another thing to consider is the amount of experience that an attorney has. While attorneys who are new to the scene may have a lot to offer in terms of smarts and energy, nothing beats the services of an attorney who has spent years working with the insurance companies, judges, police officers, and others who will be involved in your case.
- Is the attorney board-certified? Have any disciplinary actions been taken against the attorney? Before you hire an attorney, use the California Bar Association’s website to ensure that the attorney is board-certified and that no disciplinary actions have been taken against them.
- Does the attorney have any reviews posted on their website? Have they received any awards or recognitions? Client reviews, awards, and recognitions from other lawyers and lawyer rating sites can provide insight into the attorney’s abilities and what they’re like to work with.
Ask the Right Questions
Once you’ve narrowed down your search to a few different attorneys, the next step is to schedule a free consultation with each where you can discuss your case and learn more about the various lawyers. During your consultation, it’s important to ask the right questions, such as–
- How much will this cost me? Make sure you choose an attorney who is committed to working on a contingency fee basis and who offers a free consultation. A personal injury attorney who wants to charge an hourly or retainer fee should be avoided.
- How much is my case worth? While this is a very fair question, be wary of an attorney who promises that they will be able to recover a certain amount of money.
- What is my role throughout the process? Be clear with your attorney that you want to know what will be expected of you throughout the case process. Different attorneys may engage you in different ways, and you want to know what to expect along the way.
- Who will be working on my case? At some big law firms, cases are handed off to lower-level attorneys who don’t have the same experience as the partners at the firm. When you meet with an attorney, ask them if they will be working on your case and, if so, who else will be involved in the process.
Go With Your Gut
If you have a couple of great options of attorneys who are experienced, get results, and work on a contingent fee basis, the best option for hiring the right attorney to represent you during your bike accident claim will be the attorney with whom you most connect. Remember, you will be working with this attorney for many weeks or months moving forward, and may need to share intimate information with your lawyer–you want to work with someone you like!
Call Fisher & Talwar Today
If you have been in a crash, our skilled bike accident lawyers in LA want to help. Call Fisher & Talwar today to learn more about our legal services and how we can help. We offer free consultations and are results-oriented. Reach us today online or by phone to get started.